Wednesday 5 August 2015

Recipe request.


Get that kettle on!


This photo of homemade crumbly Stem Ginger biscuits posted on Twitter brought forth a flurry of requests for the recipe. So here it is, quick, easy and well worth the minimal effort.

Stem Ginger Biscuits
(makes around 18 -20)

125g softened butter
85g soft brown sugar
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 heaped tblspns chopped stem ginger
150g self raising flour
2 heaped tspns ground ginger

Oven temp 180C/gas 4 
Line baking tray with greaseproof paper.

1. Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract, until fluffy and pale cream.

2. Fold in chopped ginger, sift in flour and ground ginger. Mix to form a dough.

3. Scoop out heaped teaspoons of dough and roll in palm into a ball. Put onto baking tray and flatten top slightly.

4. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes until biscuits are firm and golden. Leave for couple of minutes on tray to firm up then cool on wire rack.


Gilding the Lily...
.. they can be simply dusted with icing sugar or decadently half dipped in melted dark chocolate.
Or a gingery icing glaze can be made by mixing icing sugar with a couple of drops of the stem ginger juice. Drizzle artfully over the top of the biscuits.

Don't know how long they keep as they don't hang around for long.

Now don't make too many crumbs!

3 comments:

  1. And David and I really must stick to our diets....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, nothing is better than a gingery biscuit. Love ginger. Oh, my -- I have to get out my metric calculator and figure out what these an ounces or cups!

    Thanks so much for your visits to the Gypsy and checking up on Rick. He's almost to Ottawa where he will spend time with a buddy he met at classical guitar camp. I'll get him in Toronto next Thursday.

    Meanwhile, I'm putting together my post on art camp up north. My friend Kate who does lovely linocut printing gave me some basics and I did my first cuts. You will laugh, I am sure -- they are rather uneven! I think we will be printing it tonight. I thought of you because I find it so complicated to think backwards -- what's white, what is in color! My admiration for your skills and talents have increased by leaps and bounds after doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather, hate to always reply on your blog comments to acknowledge your lovely comments at the Gypsy but I guess it will have to do! I think we have much in common -- we even like the same musicals! And I have to tell you that since I did my first cutting, I have SUCH incredible respect for what you do! Oh my -- I look at those photos of your prints with newfound appreciation. I can't ever imagine doing more than one color! Even with a press!

    I'm wishing our summer would last. Sending greetings from Michigan!

    ReplyDelete